I’ve been quiet with my writing lately and am excited to buckle down a little and share what’s been going on! We have been enjoying a gorgeous spring and are now in the full swing of summer. I get to witness nature every day as I wake up and look out onto a meadow of blossoming wildflowers set on a backdrop of wild woodlands.
Nature provides the perfect model for many things and I’ve been trying to remind myself of that lately. In listening to some interviews with Dr. Doug Lisle, I have been reminded of some really important lessons. I’m hoping you may benefit from some highlights as much as I have. If this is remotely intriguing, listen to the entire interview! You won’t regret it
- The human body is a remarkable organism. It is however, just an animal, and like all animals we have biological mechanisms and instincts that help us survive.
- These biological mechanisms work perfectly. The drive for thirst and hunger are similar, and to deprive yourself of enough food is as crazy as depriving yourself of the right amount of water.
- These biological mechanisms have been working for a long long time. They even predate the 1970’s, the dawn of processed foods and the beginning era of today’s diet related chronic diseases…
- As genius as it is, the human body does not adapt well to processed foods. We are programmed to seek salt, sugar, and fat (an important instinct in our natural history), but the quantities found in today’s grocery store products and restaurant meals are downright inappropriate for human consumption!
- When we consume processed foods, we want more. It’s hard to believe but caged animals in laboratory studies will always select the artificially calorically dense food, gaining an absurd amount of weight, and they will die as a result. You don’t need to watch any more animal studies for evidence though. We have all been participants in the greatest experiment of all time. Just look around you. Have you noticed anyone eating food they know is harmful? But they just keep eating it? Many experience being overweight, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, or some kind of cancer, and then die?
- In order to maintain a healthy weight, you have two choices. A) Eat whatever you come across, including whatever processed foods you enjoy, but regulate the quantity carefully. Grit your teeth through hunger, eventually knowing you’ll give in, overeat on calories, and enter into a continuous cycle of dieting… And all the while you’re still probably starved for nutrients, so even if you can reach a healthy weight, there’s still no guarantee of health. Or B) You could just eat as much as you want, when you want, feeling full when you’re full, and eating when you’re hungry. The only catch is that you select foods that the human body was well designed to crave, consume, digest, and enjoy! Things like vegetables, fruits, starches, whole grains, and legumes. A whole foods plant based diet is exactly what fits the bill. Dr Lisle refers to the latter as losing weight without losing your mind.
What I’ve been following on Chef AJ and John Pierre’s Ultimate Weight Loss Program is exactly that – losing weight without losing your mind. Listening to Dr. Lisle’s recent interviews reminded me yet again that nature knows best. UWL works because it’s consistent with the way humans have eaten for by far the greatest part of our natural history. It’s sustainable because you never have to be hungry, and also because there is such a tremendous amount of food, you’ll simply never get bored!
Chef AJ has been building a library of great recipes and sharing them with us via live cooking demo webinars. I highly recommend an entertaining session learning some great new recipes and spending time with the most entertaining and knowledgeable chef in the business! The fee is minimal but now you have the chance to win access to the next one for free! One lucky Beans Not Bambi reader will be watching the next webinar for free. Why not you?!
To enter, you just need to do two simple things.
1) Post a comment on this blog post telling us why you would like to win.
2) Go to www.EatUnprocessed.com and sign up for Chef AJ’s newsletter.
The contest is now open and will close 6/18 at 11:59 pm.
If you would like to register for the cooking class webinar no matter what, you may do so here. You can win the contest regardless. If you have already paid the $14 registration fee, they’ll simply refund it! Mark your calendar for 6/21 9pm EST. Webinar will be recorded and you can also catch it later. Don’t miss out!